Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Working in the Studio




I think that my personal favorite activity in the studio is a very open ended project. I love watching the children paint stroke by stroke focusing on each thing that they do.They like it,because they can work fairly freely.We read the story "Action Jackson". It is a well written story about the artist Jackson Pollock. After reading the story the children drew a sketch in their sketchbook. They observed an orchid and its long stem, round blossoms and large oval leaves.
Then came the "action". About three students at a time painted on a canvas on the floor with house paint(as Jackson did), We will be taking it outside to do the splatter portion soon. The amount of intense concentration is always so inspirational to me. They love to paint without too much interruption. Soon, the painting will hang in our halls. I will
be sure to let you know when it is finished.

No comments: